Summary: This recipe was adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe. Liz added pomegranate seeds for extra holiday deliciousness.
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 cardamom pod, cracked
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
- pomegranate seeds
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, 3/4 cups sugar, and orange zest in a large heatproof bowl.
- Bring 2 cups heavy cream, milk, cloves, star anise, cinnamon sticks, and cardamom pod to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat; slowly whisk into egg mixture.
- Steep 30 minutes. Strain. Whisk in vanilla extract and pumpkin purée. Chill 3 hours.
- Stir 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small heavy saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber, brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/3 cup heavy cream (caramel will bubble vigorously).
- Divide caramel among ramekins; chill until set.
- Divide custard among ramekins; place in a large pan. Add hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins; cover pan with foil.
- Bake at 350° until center is just set, 20–25 minutes. Chill until cold. Invert onto plates. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
link to Liz’s original post of this recipe: http://www.lizbokisch.com/pumpkin-pomegranate-flan